MARE NOSTRUM MINISTRY & Gozo House of Prayer
Mare Nostrum believes that God creates all people in His image, and that all have intrinsic value. In light of this, we pledge to form a community ministry of worshipers and intercessors where every person is appreciated and respected. Each one of us has the opportunity to participate in God’s vision for the countries of the Mediterranean Sea and for Israel.
This understanding is deeply rooted in the culture and actions of Mare Nostrum. We love and respect all people, regardless of race, nationality, religion, gender, or age.
Jesus said, « Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself’ ( Matthew 22: 37-38).” Jesus goes on to say: “I give you a new commandment: Love one another. As I have loved you, you must love one another (John 13:34).”
Likewise, we are convinced that all nations have received a call from the Creator to fulfill His plans for all mankind. Thus, we want to work for the advancement of the Kingdom of God in each of them.
However, Mare Nostrum’s position on Middle Eastern issues is based on the Word of God, without taking into account any other political or humanistic opinions. We are submitted only to the supreme authority of the Bible, and look to the Lord to position us spiritually and in our actions.
The Bible states that:
- God chose Israel … to bless all the nations of the earth: “And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” Genesis 12: 2-3
- To fulfil this, He said that a land will belong to Israel: “And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God.” Genesis 17:7-8
- God said He will bring back His people to their land: “I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land.” Ezekiel 36:24
- The love of God for His people Israel doesn’t mean that He doesn’t love the other nations of Middle East or want them to vanish. “In that day Israel will be the third with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth, whom the Lord of hosts has blessed, saying, “Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance.” Isaiah 19: 24-25
- And concerning all the nations, the Lord says: “They lift up their voices, they sing for joy; over the majesty of the Lord they shout from the west. Therefore, in the east give glory to the Lord; in the coastlands of the sea, give glory to the name of the Lord, the God of Israel. From the ends of the earth we hear songs of praise, of glory to the Righteous One.” Isaiah 24: 14-15
This declaration of our fundamental beliefs helps us to inform and conform our decisions so that we approach events and take actions according to the purposes of God.
The realization of these fundamentals is articulated around four principles (Core of values) which must be shared by all who will participate in this work:
- Love the Lord
- Value people
- Respect gifts
- Serve others.
The Bible defines love as patient, kind, not envious, not proud nor dishonoring, selfless, truthful, protecting, hopeful and preserving, which is the basis of the expressions of our core values.
This definition of love announces our dedication to live and to act in an atmosphere flowing with love, joy, peace, patience, goodness and fidelity. Our hearts are committed to respond and relate in these ways to each one who interacts with Mare Nostrum!